Saturday, July 6, 2013

Leftover Lasagna Apple Dumplings

Here's a dish that combines two of my favorite things - creative leftover solutions and well, dessert!  I don't know about you, but I always find myself with leftover lasagna noodles.   Whether they are cooked and not used or just the odd ones left in the box, I never seem to have just the right amount.  So what to do with the rest?  Recently, I saw this idea, and decided I had to try it.  In the name of quick 'n easy, I decided to use canned pie filling, which is tasty, easy, and leaves you with lots of options as far as flavors (I bet peach would be delicious, too!).  Serve on it's own, with ice cream, whipped cream, or granola for a little crunch.  Any way you cut it, it's definitely better than throwing away those leftover noodles!  Here's how Mama makes it:

Leftover Lasagna Apple Dumplings
 
Ingredients:
- 6 cooked lasagna noodles (adjust the recipe to what you have)
- 1 can apple pie filling
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1/2 - 1 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 c. water
- serving suggestion:  ice cream, whipped cream, granola, powdered sugar, etc.

Directions:
1.  Cut the cooked noodles into approximate 1-inch square pieces.  Place the pie filling, vanilla, cinnamon, and water in a saucepan over medium heat. 

2.  Heat, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes, then add the lasagna noodles.  Cook until warmed throughout, about 3 minutes.  Serve warm over ice cream, or topped with granola.  Or get crazy and do both.  Either way, it's way better than just throwing them away!



When will I learn to take these pics when Peanut's asleep?

the apple bandit strikes again!

But man, is she adorable!

and she did put it back...

so she could snatch another one!

1 comment: