Monday, July 12, 2010
4th of July Lemon Cream Cake
A variation of a lemon sheet cake my Grandma makes, this cake was originally the creation of Shawna and mine the night before my housewarming party. This particular one was made at my Grandma's house in Nebraska for our 4th of July celebration.
-1 box lemon cake mix (and ingredients listed on box)
-1 can lemon pie filling
-1 carton instant lemon pudding mix
-flour (to increase density of the cake)
-1-8oz. block cream cheese, softened
-1 c. butter, softened
-5 c. powdered sugar
-1 T. vanilla extract
-blueberries and strawberries, for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom and sides of 2 9-inch cake pans with shortening, dust with flour.
2. Prepare cake as directed on box. (I usually add at least a cup of flour to boxed cakes, so they are more dense) Add lemon pudding mix and about 1/3 of the can of lemon pie filling. Divide batter between the two pans and bake according to package directions. (~30 minutes)
3. Cool cakes in pans on wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove cakes from pans, cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, make the icing. Soften cream cheese and butter either by letting sit at room temperature, or in the microwave. Blend with mixer until smooth. Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing until incorporated. Add vanilla last. Reserve about 3/4 c. of the icing to make the filling.
5. For the filling, fold remaining lemon pie filling into ~3/4 c. cream cheese icing until well mixed. Assemble cake with lemon filling between the two layers and icing over the top and sides. Decorate as desired. Refrigerate until serving.