Friday, September 12, 2014

Oatmeal Scotchies (includes recipe for lactation cookie)

If you're a breastfeeding mom these days, you've probably heard of lactation cookies.  They are usually some type of oatmeal cookie with added ingredients thought to boost lactation:  oatmeal, flax, and brewer's yeast.  Honestly, I've read it from several sources,  but never looked too closely at the validity of these claims. I've been cooking with flax seeds and ground flax for awhile, so the only one unusual to me was the brewer's yeast.  From what I could tell, it seems to be safe (it's the same yeast used to make beer), so even if it doesn't magically increase your milk, it shouldn't hurt either. I decided to incorporate the ingredients into my favorite oatmeal scotchies recipe.  Note: these are not just for nursing mothers!  Even if you add those ingredients, the whole family can share them (if it's ok with mama of course!).  Here's how Mama makes it:

Oatmeal Scotchies Lactation Cookies 




Ingredients: 
makes about 4 dozen cookies
- 1 1/4 c. Flour
- 1 t. Baking soda
- 1/2 t. Salt
- 1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 c. Ground flax
*-3 T. Brewers yeast, optional (*for lactation)
- 1 c. Butter, softened
- 1 1/2 c. Brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 t. Vanilla extract
- 3 c. Oats (not quick cooking)
- 1 pkg. butterscotch chips 

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Whisk together first 5 ingredients (and the brewer's yeast, if using) in a medium bowl. Set aside.
The only way to make lactation cookies:  baby in a carrier, princess cowgirl helper, messy countertops

2. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar.  Add eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth.
Remember those carefully planned, perfectly lit, step-by-step photos? Well, today you get this! 

3. Slowly add flour mixture to the butter mixture.  Beat until all flour is incorporated, then stir in the oats and lastly, the butterscotch chips.

4. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto parchment lined baking sheet.  Bake at 375 F for 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool on sheet for a couple minutes, then remove to cooling racks. 



5. I recommend baking about a dozen, then freezing the rest.  Using a cookie scoop or rounded tablespoon, drop onto a plate or baking sheet that will fit into the freezer. Layer with parchment between layers.  Freeze for about an hour, until solid, then remove cookie dough to a gallon freezer bag.  Label with directions: Preheat oven to 375 F, arrange frozen dough on baking sheet and allow to thaw until you can press it down slightly.  Bake for 10-12 minutes.


If you love this recipe, check out Making Mama's Kitchen cookbook, now available!!

9 comments:

  1. Hi! I love these cookies but the first time I made them they came out so great but the second time the bottoms were burnt and the middle not cooked enough. The only difference was the first time I only did a stick of butter (didn’t realize the recipe said a cup) then the second time I did two sticks (since that’s what the recipe said). Any tips or thoughts? Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I’m not sure why you got inconsistent results. I’ve made these tons of times using two sticks. Any chance the oatmeal or flower was off too? Or the oven temp? I use aluminum pans lined with parchment, so that could make a difference in terms of the bottoms browning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t believe anything was off but I’ll try again. The recipe seemed more wet this time around but I followed it. 375? Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can these be frozen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! These freeze and keep very well as dough balls and then take just a few minutes to thaw before baking as desired! (Mine don't usually make it longer than 2 months in the freezer because I eat them but when I prepped for baby pre-delivery I made a big batch and the frozen raw dough balls kept well in a vacuum seal bag for about 3 months...then I ran out again lol)

      Delete
  5. Hi! Thanks for this recipe, these have gotten me through some real ups and downs in supply and I keep coming back to them because they are so delicious! When I am feeling generous and share these with my non-lactating family and friends, I have to fight to save some because everyone enjoys them so much!

    Typically I will make a double batch, ball the dough and then freeze them on a sheet before storing them in a ziplock bag. I will take out a half dozen or dozen at a time before I turn the oven on and they are usually thawed out enough by the time its preheated and are ready to go and bake just as beautifully as they do when fresh!

    The butterscotch and cinnamon mask the more pungent brewers yeast that I've noticed in most other recipes that I've tried and the flax just blends in with the texture of the oats.

    Everything about these cookies is wonderful and taste bud tickling (and lactation boosting). My only word of caution is either make them in small batches or have people around to share because I have literally eaten about a dozen and a half of these in one afternoon without realizing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How many eggs do we use for this recipe? Maybe imI have have missed it But don’t see anywhere where you mention how many to use for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are soooo good!! Thank you for this recipe! My milk supply started to tank for some reason, so I am going to try these along with another supplement and I really hope it does the trick! If not, well these are delicious and semi nutritious! ;) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How many cookies does one eat per day

    ReplyDelete