- 1 c. sugar
- 5 T. shortening
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c. apple cider
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1 1/2 t. baking powder
for the topping:
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1 T. flour
- 2 T. cold butter
- 1 apple, peeled and finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cream the sugar and shortening. Add the salt.
2. Beat egg well and add with milk, cider, flour, and baking powder.
3. Beat cake mixture with a mixer. Pour into greased 8x8" pan.
4. Combine all topping ingredients except the butter and apple. Cut butter into chunks and using a pastry blender, fork, or two knives (my mom uses knives but I can never get the hang of it - I use my pastry blender), cut butter into the topping ingredients until small clumps form. Add the finely chopped apple and stir.
5. Sprinkle topping over the cake. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Serve hot or cold. Maybe even drizzle with some caramel if you're feeling extra indulgent. Either way, enjoy every delicious apple-laden bite!
And a couple peach trees out front to keep our little weeping willow company...