Saturday, December 5, 2015

Banoffee Pudding

Remember this crazy delicious banoffee pie that I made (and then made again about 823,304,329 times...)?  Well, when we had an abundance of ripe bananas, I decided to make banana pudding. You know, the traditional wafer cookie, banana slices, and pudding all layered together in a pretty trifle bowl.  Then I added cinnamon to the cream before I whipped it, because well, who doesn't like a little cinnamon with everything banana (really? Just me?).  That one little change instantly reminded us of my cinnamon whipped cream topped banoffee pie.  So I did what any self-respecting cook would do - I made another batch and tweaked it some more until this recipe was born.  Instead of plain sweetened condensed milk, I used dulce de leche (or in my case, boiled sweetened condensed milk for about 2 hours until it made dulce de leche).  Again, I added some cinnamon to the cream and layered in some mini chocolate chips.  It was heavenly.  Go ahead, try it - here's how Mama makes it:

Banoffee Pudding


Ingredients:
- 1 large package instant vanilla pudding (about 2/3 c. mix)
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 1 (14 oz) can dulce de leche* 
- 3 c. heaving whipping cream
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1 box vanilla wafers
- 5 ripe bananas, sliced
- 1/3 c. mini chocolate chips
*(or sweetened condensed milk, boiled in the can for 2-2.5 hours)

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, mix pudding mix, water, and dulce de leche until smooth.  Cover and refrigerate until set, at least 4 hours or overnight.

2.  Using a mixer (or a blender), whip cream and cinnamon together until soft peaks form.  Gently fold into the pudding.
if using a small blender, whip in batches


3.  In a trifle bowl, layer 1/3 each of the vanilla wafers, banana slices, and pudding mix.  Sprinkle with chocolate chips, then repeat twice.  Save a couple wafer cookies to crush and use as garnish along with the chocolate chips.  Refrigerate until serving.




Wouldn't this make a great addition to a holiday spread?!

1 comment: