Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Hunt for the Miracle Hand Cream

Every winter, I struggle with dry, cracked hands.  It's a combination of dry air, working with my hands and lots of paper, and washing them like crazy in an effort to minimize sharing all my patients cough/cold/flu germs this time of year.  After using this Vaseline hand cream for the last couple years (and loving it), it just wasn't working this season.  Perhaps my skin has changed, or maybe it's just not cutting it anymore.  Either way, I was on the hunt for a new hand cream, especially to have at work.  Like any good millennial would do, I asked the Facebook world for recommendations.  And, just like I knew they would, several of my friends came to my aid with recommendations.  Here are a few of them that I've tried so far:  (I ended up stopping after 5 because I found some I really liked!)


Trial 1 - unrefined coconut oil
Skinny & Co. Extra Virgin Skinny Coconut Oil (8.5 fl oz.)
- price: $5.99 for 2 oz. jar (can also buy in huge jars)
- Initial impressions:  smells like an almond joy (pro), leaves my palms shiny, greasy, and slippery (con), hands are really soft once it soaks in (pro), only takes a tiny amount (pro), single non-toxic ingredient (pro), harder to apply (takes a little longer than typical cream) because the oil is hard until it heats up on the skin (con)
- Final thoughts:  have to reapply often (con), cracked hands healed but slowly compared with other creams (con), even the small jar isn't easy to keep in my white coat pocket (con), can also use on chapped lips (pro), still love the smell (pro) and my hands are super soft (pro).  Overall, I like the coconut oil as a moisturizer, but probably not enough all on its own for the winter months.  It makes my skin really soft, but doesn't moisturize deeply enough. Would make a great ingredient to add if I ever make my own hand cream (let's face it, I'll probably try it at some point). 




Trial 2 - Burt's Bees Almond Milk Beeswax Hand Crème
Burt's Bees 100% Natural Almond Milk Beeswax Hand Cream, 2 Ounces (Pack of 2)
- price $8.99 for 2 oz. jar
- Initial impressions:  very light fragrance (pro), thick and creamy (pro), hands are somewhat sticky and greasy after applying (con), only a small amount needed (pro), simple all-natural ingredients (pro)
- Final thoughts:  I like the creamy feel (pro) and mild scent (pro), but it leaves my hands a little sticky feeling (con) and sort of slimy when I wash them (con).    Again, some of the ingredients (sweet almond oil, beeswax) would probably be useful, but not completely sold on it as an everyday hand cream.



Trial 3 - L'Occitane Shea Butter Hand Cream
L'Occitane Shea Butter Hand Cream, 5.2 oz.
- price $12 for 1 oz. tube
- Initial impressions:  a little pricey (con), love the small tube for putting in a pocket at work (pro), smells good (pro), very soft and creamy feel (pro), non-greasy (pro).
- Final thoughts:  This really does smell good, but it's a little too strong and perfume-y for me.  I'm really sensitive to smells, and while I like the smell of this one, it was too strong even after washing my hands! (con)  It's a nice hand cream, though, and left my hands very soft (pro).  A good cream for some, but not for me.




Trial 4 - Working Hands **the runner-up**
3oz Working Hands Tube
- price $5.99 for 3 oz. tube
- Initial impressions:  zero fragrance (pro), goes on thick but not greasy (pro), a little sticky if you use too much (con), doesn't take much (pro)
- Final thoughts:  lasts a long time (pro), heals cracks quickly (pro), and lasts through washing (pro).  I really like this one for really cracked/rough skin.  It's scent free (and not in the no added fragrance but still smells medicated way) and leaves hands very soft and smooth, but not greasy/slippery. A little heavy for an everyday moisturizer, but awesome product for the winter months when my hands really take a beating. It's not all-natural, but boy, it does the job!  Pretty sure this will be my new hand cream to keep at work.




Trial 5 - Shea Moisture Hand Cream **the winner!**
Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Hand Cream w/ Frankincense & Myrrh - 4.4 oz.

- price $12.99 for 4 oz. (watch for sales, though, I got mine BOGO 50% off at Target)
- Initial impressions:  I LOVE THE SMELL (pro), great creamy texture without being greasy/slimy (pro), organic and all-natural (pro, if you're into that sort of thing. Not a must for me, but would never consider it a con either)
- Final thoughts:  makes my hands really soft (pro), also comes as a body lotion (which I also really like!), I seriously love the smell (not too floral, not too medicated, mild).  It comes in a bigger tube that's not convenient to keep in my coat pocket, but I will definitely be using this at home or keeping in my drawer at work (con).  Not too heavy for daily use, but thick enough to stick around awhile (pro). It is a little more expensive, but pretty comparable when on sale (con).  Lately, I've been using this one a couple times a day at home and alternating between this and the Working Hands cream while at work.  Seems to do the trick.  I'm sold!

No comments:

Post a Comment