Monday, August 26, 2013

Beautiful Disaster: Rustic Raspberry Peach Tart

Here's one of those creations that just keeps going wrong, but somehow ends up great - a beautiful disaster.  This recipe was born after promising my student and technician at work that I would make them a pie, only to realize I only had a single pie crust at home.  Sure, I could've made one, but I just didn't have the time or patience that day.  So, I decided to improvise and make a one-crust rustic-looking tart instead.  Aside from using a little too much peach filling, it was one heck of an improvisation!   I even got to use some of my freshly picked home-grown raspberries.  Here's how Mama makes it:

Rustic Raspberry Peach Tart


Ingredients:
- 1 pastry for 9" pie
- 1 c. can peach pie filling (slightly less than 1 can)
- 1/3 c. raspberries
- 1 T. honey


Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Place pastry on a parchment-lined baking sheet (don't use foil - hindsight is 20/20... pie filling sticks to foil.  Again, go with the parchment)

see that foil?  don't use it! 
go for the parchment, friends

2.  Spread about 3/4 to 1 cup of peach pie filling in the center of the pastry, then sprinkle in some raspberries. Spread filling about 1 1/2" from the edge of the pastry.


how beautiful are these raspberries?
homegrown, too!


3.  Fold pastry up, so that only a small circle of filling is showing in the center.  (I had some extra crumb topping on hand from an apple pie I had made, so I sprinkled that in the center.  If you want to add that, mix about 1 T. softened butter with 2 T. flour, 1 T. brown sugar, and 1/2 T. quick cooking oats, then sprinkle over the top). 


4.  Drizzle with honey, then top with crumb topping, if desired.  Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 and bake 25-30 minutes until golden brown. If it starts to get a little too brown, cover with foil for rest of the baking time.


beautiful, right?

and disaster... crust broke due to too much filling
also, stuck to the foil
long story short, this ended up being a "cobbler"

a very, very yummy one!

No comments:

Post a Comment