Thursday, August 22, 2013

Dutch Apple Pie (using homemade canned filling)

In preparation for my friend, Kinzie's wedding, I decided to test out a batch of my homemade canned pie filling.  I cannot believe how easy it was to make an apple pie when the filling's already made!  I feel much less anxious about making 12+ pies in a day, now.  Plus, I was excited to let the bride & groom-to-be taste it.  Win/win I'd say.  Pie for everyone!  Here's how Mama makes it:

Dutch Apple Pie

Ingredients:
- 1 pastry for 9" pie (I actually tested out a Marie Calendar's frozen one for this pie)
- 1 quart jar apple pie filling
- 1 c. flour
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. quick-cooking oats
- 6 T. butter, softened or slightly melted


Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Place frozen pie crust on a foil-lined cookie sheet.  Pour in the apple filling, and spread apples evenly.


2.  In a medium bowl, mix remaining ingredients for the crumb topping.  (These amounts made slightly more than I needed, but frozen crusts tend to be slightly smaller.)



using a fork, keep mixing until it's approximately pea-sized crumbs


3.  Sprinkle topping on the pie, making sure to cover all the filling.  Bake for 40 minutes, then lay a piece of foil over the top to prevent pie from over-browning and cook additional 5-7 minutes.  Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving. (As always, pie will cut best if completely cooled before serving.)

before baking...

and after!  See how golden it gets?



If you love this recipe, check out Making Mama's Kitchen cookbook, now available for pre-sale!!

No comments:

Post a Comment