Friday, September 11, 2015

Runza Casserole

Remember when I made these runzas because I had a major craving for one and Michael wouldn't drive 11 hours each way to get one?  Yea, well, still not feasible apparently.  If anyone has a private jet they could loan me on a whim a few times a year when I really need a runza, I'd really appreciate it.  I'll even pay you in pie.

Oooooor, we can make a runza casserole, says the logical, practical, realistic mama in me.  This is about as easy of a "runza" as I can come up with.  For about 30 minutes of prep time and 20 minutes of cooking time, you can have a runza-esque dinner!  Just like regular runzas, you can get creative and personalize them.  My suggestions:  cheeseburger runza - add ketchup/mustard, bacon, and pickles; spicy runza - pepperjack cheese and jalapenos; mushroom swiss runza - swiss cheese and mushrooms.  You get the picture!  I decided to start with the classic cheese runza since it's always a hit, and it did not disappoint.  Here's how Mama makes it:

Runza Casserole



Ingredients: (makes 6 servings)

- 2 tubes refrigerated crescent rolls (get the dough sheets if you can find them, they don't have the perforations!)
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 c. chopped cabbage
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 1/2 t. garlic salt
- 2 t. sugar
- 1 c. shredded cheese

Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In a large skillet, brown the hamburger, drain.  Meanwhile, chop the onion and cabbage.

2.  Add chopped cabbage and onion to the hamburger; cover and cook over medium heat until cabbage wilts, stirring frequently (about 15-20 minutes).  Add salt, pepper, garlic salt, and sugar.



3.  Line bottom of a 9x13" glass pan with one of the tubes of crescent rolls, pressing on edges to evenly cover the entire bottom of the pan.



4.  Spoon the meat mixture into the pan, then sprinkle with cheese.



5.  Top with remaining crescent dough, pinching seams to create a solid crust (or get the dough sheets that don't have seams!).  Bake 17-20 minutes until crust is golden brown.  Serve warm.



full disclosure:  I actually put it back in the oven for a few minutes after 
taking this picture (hence the 17-20 minute range).  
I just forgot to snap another picture afterward.  
Pretty sure I was too excited to start eating!



Just for a fun comparison to the casserole, here's what my semi-homemade runzas look like:

And the ones from the Runza restuarant:
(photo from Runza.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment