Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Smoked Turkey Soup

As you've probably noticed from my last several posts, I've been in a soup mood lately....something about the change in weather makes me want to eat everything in liquid form. So, naturally, after our Labor Day cookout, I asked my Dad-in-law if I could take the leftover smoked turkey breast and make it into a soup. Inspired by a recipe from Cooking Light Magazine, this is what I came up with.

Smoked Turkey Soup

Ingredients:
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-1 small red onion, chopped
-1 celery heart, chopped
-2 carrots, peeled and chopped
-1 tablespoon ground cumin
-1 teaspoon dried oregano
-3 garlic cloves, minced
-2 cups water
-3/4 teaspoon salt
-1 (32-ounce) box chicken stock
-2 (15-ounce) cans white beans, drained
-1/2 pound smoked turkey breast, chopped
-1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
-1/4 cup chopped fresh or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
-1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
-1 teaspoon lemon juice
-1 cup low-fat sour cream
-2 tablespoons cilantro




Directions:

1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and next 5 ingredients (onion through garlic), and sauté 5 minutes. Stir in water, salt, broth, and beans. Bring to a boil, and cover.

2. Reduce heat, and simmer 15-20 minutes or until tender.

3. Place half of bean mixture in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Return pureéd bean mixture to pan. (Note: I added a few ice cubes to each cup of soup before I blended it so it wouldn't burn up my blender/Bullet....that way you don't have to wait for it to cool before blending.)

4. Stir in turkey, bell pepper, parsley, and hot sauce; cook an additional 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

5. Add sour cream, lemon juice, and cilantro, stirring until sour cream is melted.

***Note: If you don't happen to have smoked turkey breast at your disposal, you could easily substitute roasted turkey and add 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (think, leftover Thanksgiving turkey recipe).

No comments:

Post a Comment