Monday, April 7, 2014

Snack Attack: Greek Yogurt with Apple, Blueberry, & Hazelnut

Next stop on healthy snack journey - a yummy greek yogurt mixed with cinnamon and topped with fruit and nuts.  Another of Elizabeth's awesome snacking tips was plain greek yogurt with apples and cinnamon.  It reminded me of an apple and blueberry salad I used to make when I was losing the baby weight with Annalyn.  In the past I've made it with walnuts, but decided to treat myself to hazelnuts I found at Trader Joe's.  This recipe is great because it's very flexible - add/substitute really any fruit/nut combination you have on hand (I really like the addition of grapes to this mixture, too!).  Here's how Mama makes it:

Greek Yogurt with Apple, Blueberry, & Hazelnut

Ingredients: (I chopped up a bunch to share with the family.  I'm sorry to say I don't have an exact serving size on this one - Michael used some in a salad, Annalyn ate it with lunch, I took some to work on yogurt, ate some with oatmeal the next day.  It lasted us a few days though.)

- 2 granny smith apples, cored and chopped
- 1 pint blueberries, rinsed
- 2 T. lemon juice
- 1/4-1/3 c. hazelnuts (can substitute walnuts, pecans, almonds, or a mix)
- plain greek yogurt and cinnamon
(I used a scant 1/2 c. of the fruit/nut mixture with about 1/4 c. yogurt, 1/4 t. cinnamon per serving)


Directions:

1.  Core and chop the apples, rinse blueberries.  Combine the two in a medium bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice (to keep apples from browning).  Stir in the hazelnuts, refrigerate until ready to eat.


2.  Mix 1/4 c. plain greek yogurt with 1/4 t. cinnamon (more or less to taste).  Top with fruit/nut mix and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment