Friday, August 1, 2014

About Aboo: Emelina's 2 month update

Dearest Emelina,

It's hard to believe it, but my little Squishy is 2 months old already (actually a little over by the time I finished this).  At your appointment, you weighed 10 lbs. 10.5 oz. and were 23" long.   Even now, we are getting little glimpses of your developing personality.  You've started smiling and almost laughing lately.  You love your big sister, even if she does pick on you sometimes.  We've been working hard to put you down more, so you're starting to like your swing, and even just laying on a blanket and looking at toys.   Although most of the time you prefer to be held, facing out, and walking.





Sleep is our biggest challenge lately, since you greatly prefer sleeping on Mama to sleeping in your cradle.  We've worked up to a few hours at a time in the cradle, but there are just some nights that I need more than a couple little naps.  It's a work in progress, along with your daytime schedule.  I'm finding it harder to set your schedule because I've always fed you on demand.  Unlike a bottle fed baby, I don't really know how much you're getting at each feeding, so it's hard to say that you don't need to eat again an hour later when you ask.  Lately you've been taking at least one long morning and afternoon nap, which is nice.  All in all, it's still one big work in progress.  Welcome to life, Squish!


And yes, I still call you my Squishy, or Squishers, or just Squish.  Sorry, but it's sort of catching on, too.  All in love, baby, all in love.   
I mean, really! Look at that squishy little face!!


So far you've been to 6 states (IL, NE, MO, IA, OH, and obviously IN) and four zoos (Indy, Fort Wayne, Omaha, Decatur).  Not bad for your first two months of life!  You still despise your car seat which makes traveling rough, but honestly short trips are worse than long ones because you especially hate stopping.  We can't get you to consistently take a pacifier, but occasionally you will in the car.  You mostly like to clutch the bunny on the other end of the paci. 



Oh, and your hair!  As it gets even longer, it's starting to stick straight up just like your sister's did.  It's even crazier, though, because you have sooo much!  It's usually the first thing people notice and comment about you.  The second is your huge eyes.  


I left you with Grandma for the first time when you were 8 weeks old, and with your nanny just this week at almost 10 weeks old.  Honestly, it kills me.  I hate being away from you, even for an hour, but I've been forcing myself to slowly start leaving more so it's not as big of a shock here in a couple weeks when I go back to work.  Dreading that day...

I've successfully breastfed you exclusively so far, which is a huge accomplishment in my book!  It has been far from easy, but I'm glad I've been able to.  I worry about how going back to work will affect my supply, but you have no problem taking bottles, so that's at least promising.  I'm trying to remind myself that even if we have to supplement, it's not the end of the world.  I have no problem with formula, other than cost and all the bottle washing.  As much as you like to eat, I can't imagine you'll mind the switch.  It will be hard to give up some of the snuggle time though.


All in all, we are doing pretty well, Emma. Or at least trying really hard!  Every week gets a little easier and you just keep getting more fun.  Even though it scares me given her track record, I love watching you and Annalyn interact.  There's just something so special about seeing your kids loving on each other (as opposed to pulling/poking/hitting... Sorry, babe, we are working on it! At least I know you'll be tough.)
...a relationship built on love and mutual respect <note the sarcasm> 

Love you so much little Squishy!

All my love,
Mama 

1 comment: