Tuesday, November 25, 2014

About Aboo: Emelina's half birthday update!

I swear I must be off with my counting because there's no way it's been 6 whole months since my Squishy was born. Plus, there has to be way, way, way more than 6 months until your first birthday. Man, time even flies when you're sleep deprived. This is the start of my absolute favorite baby stage (6-18 months). So many changes and milestones and exciting things to learn. Here's what's new with you at 6 months old:

our little turkey



Weight: 16 lbs 6 oz 
Height: 26"
Clothing size:  Still wearing 3-6, but a few 6-9, too. Size 3 diapers.



Milestones:  Sitting up on your own! Also, you started saying "Mamama" and "Dadada" but not on demand usually.



Teeth:  none. Even though you are trying so hard and we can see them getting closer and closer, none have cut through. I guess you're going to be like your sister and take forever to get them. Grandma Cindy started bribing you with a cheeseburger for when you finally get teeth (I thought her rule used to be 4 teeth = cheeseburger, but I think she had to adjust it for my late-to-teeth ladies.)

chewing on everything!



Breastfeeding:  Well, we officially made it 6 months of breastfeeding! The last couple weeks, I've decided to start weaning from the pump since I don't have any students for the next two months (PS - it's really, really hard to pump while running a retail pharmacy and patients aren't always very kind). I've started by cutting out your evening feeding, and realized that it's been awhile since I've given you a bottle and it really confused you. I've also realized how much harder it is to skip that feeding when I'm with you vs. when I'm at work. But only pumping twice in 13 hours is much better than three times (and way better than four times a day that I started with when I first went back). I'm hoping to get it down to just once a day in another week, which I think will be more manageable. I hate that we have to cut down because of me, not you, but we have a good freezer stash and you don't seem to mind too much as long as you get to breastfeed in the evening.


Foods: So far, you are loving it all! Using the "4 day wait rule", we've officially introduced you to bananas, rice cereal, apples, pears, sweet potatoes, avocado, and butternut squash.  You eat 2 cubes (2 oz.) once daily with lunch, although you'd probably eat more if we allowed it. You have a bit of a sensitive stomach, so we are taking the transition to solid foods slowly.


Schedule:  For the most part, you have a pretty set schedule now as far as eating and napping. When I'm at work, you typically eat 3-4 oz. bottles every 3 hours. We pretty much stick to the same schedule whether I'm home or you're with Daddy or Diana.
- 6 am - wake when I get up for work, breastfeed, then lay back down in your rock 'n play (yep, you still hate the crib)
- 9 am - *bottle (just started cutting out this breastfeeding session), awake and play until about 10:30-11, then nap in rock 'n play.
- 12 pm - 2 cubes food, then breastfeed; nap around 2 when Anna goes down.
- 3 pm - breastfeed; usually stay awake until next bottle, but occasional catnap in there.
- 6 pm - bottle
- 8 pm - breastfeed (usually for comfort, I think), little catnap
- 9:30-10 pm - breastfeed and bed in the rock 'n play (we keep you up late so I can see you/feed you after work)
**I'd love to say you sleep all night until I feed you at 6 am, but still not the case. I usually end up feeding you at least once or twice through the night, too.

***Update:  between the time I wrote this and now, you've actually started sleeping in your crib for naps and little spurts throughout the night! Usually take about an hour to hour and a half naps, and we can even lay you down awake. You usually roll to your side or stomach, but you're plenty strong to get back now if you need to. Hopefully the first step in getting you to sleep through the night.

Favorites:  You love to play with your sister. She can make you laugh just by looking at you. You like to dance in the kitchen with us when we put on kid songs. You really like her little light up piano toy that plays music, and you've definitely taken a notice of books lately (only to be eaten, though). Still a huge Mama's baby, but Daddy is a close second. I love to see how happy you get when he comes home from work in the afternoon. Bath time is a lot of fun now that you sit up and have learned to splash, grab the washcloth, and noticed the bubbles.

even Peanut knows you have to butter up the turkey before you cook it...


oh no! She's going to make "Emma soup!"


Don't worry, little Emma, I didn't actually let her make you into soup.  She thought it was a pretty funny game for awhile though. And you just go along for whatever crazy ride she takes you on lately. Even at 6 months old, you absolutely adore your big sister. To be honest, I'm pretty sure it's mutual. We are all pretty much enamored with you these days. Between your big gummy smile and your infectious little laugh, it's hard not to be. Love you like crazy little baby.

Love,

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment