- 1 c. uncooked quinoa
- 1/4 c. chopped pecans, for garnish
1. Soak quinoa in a bowl of water for 5 minutes. I found that an easy way to do this is to set a strainer over a bowl, fill with water so that all the grains are covered. After the 5 minutes, simply lift out the strainer. Meanwhile, chop the apples (I decided to leave the skins on this time).
2. Coat a large skillet or saucepan with cooking spray, and set over medium-high heat. Melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter, then add apples and cranberries and cook until soft and beginning to caramelize, about 5-10 minutes. Set apple mixture aside.
3. Rinse and drain quinoa. Add quinoa and 2 cups cold water to a medium saucepan and bring to boil over medium-high heat; boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low, cover pan and allow quinoa to simmer for 10 minutes. When quinoa is cooked and most of the water has been absorbed, remove from heat and fluff with fork.
4. Add remaining 1/2 T. butter, pumpkin, spices, sugar, and milk; stir to combine.
5. Add apples and cranberries and fold to combine.
6. Serve warm topped with chopped pecans. (about 6 points per 2/3 c. serving)