Friday, October 10, 2014

Baked Shredded Carrots

The story behind this recipe is sort of random, but worth telling why I had 6 cups of shredded carrots to use. While playing outside with the girls, one of our neighbors drove by and after chatting for a bit, asked if I had a use for some carrots. They do some catering and had half of a 5 lb. bag of shredded carrots leftover and were leaving for vacation. I figured what the heck, I can always freeze them and toss into soups. But after 6 pint-sized freezer bags, I realized I needed to come up with another use for them. Along with some extra small potatoes I had leftover from another dish, I decided to toss them in the oven and see what happened. The result was delicious and very popular with my live-in food critics. Here's how Mama makes it:

Baked Shredded Carrots



Ingredients:
- 6 c. Shredded carrots
- 2 c. Diced potatoes
- 2 T. Minced garlic
- 1/2 c. Chopped onion 
- 1/2 t. Salt
- 1/2 t. Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 t. Celery salt
- 1/2 t. Dried thyme or rosemary (or about 1 t. Fresh)
- 1/2 stick butter, cubed


Directions:
1. In an ungreased casserole dish or 9x13" pan, combine all ingredients except butter.  Cut butter into cubes and scatter over top of the vegetables.

2. Cover and bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 40-45 minutes, until potatoes are fork-tender and carrots are crisp-tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment