Monday, October 27, 2014

Slow Cooker Easy Enchilada Casserole

Here's a recipe so simple that I made it at work! I was midway through my 13 hour shift, when the craving for Mexican food hit me. Since I can't actually leave the pharmacy when I'm here, but have a whole grocery store at my disposal, I decided to improvise.  The result was filling, delicious, and provided lots of leftovers for the family to eat the next day. Here's how this working Mama makes it:

Slow Cooker Easy Enchilada Casserole

Ingredients:
- 1 can Rotel (I found this awesome Mexican style one with lime and cilantro)
- 1 can red enchilada sauce
- 1 c. chicken stock
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 c. brown rice**
**I intended to use just brown rice, but ended up finding this quinoa & brown rice blend. It was delicious and I'd totally use it again (especially since I didn't want to deal with an open bag of brown rice at work).
***You could easily add some chicken thighs to this recipe and shred with a fork.

Directions:

1.  Place all ingredients in a lined/greased slow cooker, stir to mix, cook on low for 5-6 hours, or high for 3 hours.

2.  Give it a good stir and serve warm (Michael and Annalyn added shredded cheese to it when they ate it leftover).  Would also make a great base for grilled chicken. (sorry, didn't get a picture of the final product - I also don't get actual breaks, so I usually end up eating on the run at work)

printable recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment