- 2 1/4 c. water
- 1/4 c. oil
- 1/2 c. honey
- 2 pkg. yeast
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
- 3 - 3 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
- 2 t. salt
- 1 T. sugar
- 1 egg
1. Heat first 3 ingredients to 120-130 degrees F. Add to other ingredients except 1 c. all purpose flour and whole wheat flour.
2. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes, then stir in whole wheat flour to form stiff dough.
3. Knead about 5 minutes, adding all purpose flour as needed. Dough should be smooth and elastic.
4. Place in greased bowl, let rise until doubled, 45-60 min. Punch down, divide into two loaves, place in greased 8x4 pans.
5. Let rise until doubled, 45-60 min. Bake at 350 degrees F, 35-45 min. Loaves should be deep golden brown and sound hollow when lightly tapped. Brush with butter if desired.