Friday, October 3, 2014

Cider Wassail

Here's a recipe that's near and dear to me. I originally made this drink with my grandma back in grade school after telling her about how we made it in school. We decided it would be the perfect addition to our Christmas dinner at the cabin. Decades later, this warm, spicy holiday drink still reminds me of Christmas with my family.

Now I know it's a little early to start the Christmas posts, but this drink is just as much a part of fall as winter. A warm apple cider all jazzed up with citrus and spices. Served warm and garnished with a cinnamon stick, it's perfect for a cold fall day.  Here's how Mama makes it:

Cider wassail



Ingredients:
- 2 qts. Apple cider
- 2 c. Orange juice
- 2 c. Pineapple juice
- 2 T. Lemon juice
- 2 T. Honey
- 1 T. Brown sugar
- 2-3 cinnamon sticks (plus more for serving)
- 1 T whole cloves (or a dash of ground)
- 1 orange, 1 apple (cut into rounds)

Directions:
1. Place all ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 3-4 hours. Serve warm.

(Alternatively, bring to a boil in a large stock pot, then reduce heat and simmer 20-30 min.)

printable recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment