Saturday, August 11, 2012

Welcome Home, Aunt Lindsey!! (Barry Berry Pie Recipe)

After spending the entire summer in Virginia running a youth mission workcamp for Week of Hope, my baby sister is finally back within driving distance.  I am so proud of all her hard work and devotion to making a difference, but we are also so glad to have her back!  To celebrate, I intended to make one our summer favorites, strawberry rhubarb pie.  I'm pretty sure the last time I made it, Lindsey (my sis) and Shawna (my BFF) snitched half the strawberries before they even made it in the pie.  But sadly, rhubarb was no where to be found!  So here I was, up early on a Friday morning, rhubarb-less, and trying to decide what to make.  In a moment of creativity or ambition, or before-coffee-tiredness, I came up with this recipe in honor of my lil sis. (In case you're wondering, Barry is my maiden name, hence the title.)

waiting for Aunt Lindsey at the airport

glad to be back :)



Barry Berry Pie


Ingredients:
-2 roll out pie crusts
-1 1/2 lbs. fresh strawberries, divided
-2 c. blueberries
-1 t. lemon zest
-1 T. cornstarch
-2/3 c. flour
-1/2 c. sugar

Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Rinse fruit and slice the strawberries. 


2.  Place 1 lb. of the strawberries (1 whole container) and the lemon zest in a sauce pan and bring to boil.  Cook over med-high heat for about 5 minutes until they release some of their juice.



3.  Remove from heat, spoon out some of the strawberry juice.  In a small dish, mix 1 T. cornstarch in 1 T. cold water.  Stir into strawberries. Allow to cool slightly, stirring frequently until thickened.
4.  In a large bowl, mix blueberries and remainder of fresh sliced strawberries.  Gently fold in cooled strawberry mixture.


5.  In a medium bowl, mix sugar and flour.  Add half of sugar mixture to berries. 


6.  Line a 9 inch pie plate with one of the pie crusts.  Spoon berry mixture into the crust.  Cover with remaining sugar mixture.
have you ever used a pie vent?  this was a first for me...

7.  Top with second pie crust and flute edges.  Brush top crust with water and sprinkle with sugar.  Use pie shield or foil to cover edges.  Bake for 35-45 minutes, removing foil last 15 minutes (can leave shield on).  Cool before serving.







No comments:

Post a Comment