-3 lb. chuck roast
-1 T. olive oil
-2 turnips, peeled and chopped
-2 handfuls baby carrots (or 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped)
-2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
-1 large onion, chopped
-1 T. minced garlic
-1 c. red wine (can substitute beef broth or water to make this more family-friendly!)
-2 T. Worcestershire sauce
-1 tsp. each: garlic salt, onion powder, black pepper, lemon pepper, oregano, thyme, rosemary, basil, and cumin
1. In a small bowl, combine spices and stir to mix. Sprinkle and rub in about half of the spice mixture over the roast. Set the other half aside.
2. In a large pan, heat 1 T. olive oil over medium-high heat until oil starts smoking. Place the roast in the pan of hot oil to sear. Brown each side for 4-5 minutes. **You can skip this step to save time, but it really does help hold in the juices and give the roast a nice color.
3. In the meantime, peel and chop the vegetables and arrange in the bottom of a slow cooker. After roast is seared on all sides, place in slow cooker on top of vegetables.
4. Add red wine, Worcestershire sauce, and minced garlic to the remaining spice mix and pour over the roast.
5. Cook on low for 10 hours, or high for 6-8 hours. Serve roast with vegetables and pan juices.
There's something to warm your belly, now a little something to warm your heart...