Thursday, September 13, 2012

Slow Cooker Mango Chicken Curry & Baby Mango Chicken Curry

Why did I never think of this before?  Chicken curry in a slow cooker!  Curry, much like chili, only gets better as it sits and the flavors meld together.  One of our old favorites is this chicken curry, but it takes a decent amount of time start to finish, so it's usually not a weeknight meal.  But thanks to my old friend, Mr. Crockpot, it just became a new weeknight favorite.  Just for kicks, I decided to let Annalyn try a baby version of it - figure she might as well start getting used to our favorite flavors.
let's do this!



Slow Cooker Mango Chicken Curry
(& Baby Mango Chicken Curry)


Ingredients:
-2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
-1 large green pepper, cut into chunks
-1 large onion, cut into chunks (or two half onions if that's what you have)
-1 (14.5 oz) can stewed tomatoes
-1/2 c. mango chutney
-1 large mango, peeled and sliced
-1/2 can light coconut milk
-1 T. cornstarch
-1 T. curry powder
-2 t. ground or fresh ginger
-1/4 t. ground cloves
-1 t. yellow mustard seed
-1/2 c. Craisins dried cranberries, original
-1 (10 oz.) bag frozen brown rice





Directions:
1.  Place chicken, pepper, and onion in a slow cooker; top with tomatoes.








2.  In a small bowl mix remaining ingredients except mango and rice.    Pour over chicken.






this recipe's so simple I can do it with
a baby strapped to my chest!

3.  Peel and thinly slice the fresh mango.  I finely chopped a small amount to keep for Annalyn's dinner.





4. Scatter mango slices on top of the chicken mixture.  Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.  Serve with rice.






5.  For Annalyn's curry, I mixed baby rice cereal with the finely chopped mango.  Add a spoonful of chicken puree and a dash of curry powder.  Mix until smooth. 



curry is very potent, so it just takes a dash


Once again, I'm feeding my baby something that seems absolutely crazy to me.  I'm pretty sure I never even smelled curry until college.  But here goes nothing...

 drumroll please...
total success!
her favorite way to eat chicken yet!
this girl never ceases to amaze me...







No comments:

Post a Comment