Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Frozen Fruit Slush

This is hands down one of my favorite desserts/ snacks/ foods/ drinks.  It's cool and refreshing on a hot summer day.  It works wonders on a sore throat.  It's a pregnant lady's dream and her worst enemy (I would practically eat the entire bowl towards the end of my pregnancy).  It's a kid's favorite way to eat fruit and think of it as dessert (I've been making this since my cousins taught me as a kid).  Add some ginger ale and 7-up and you have a perfect punch for your next party or shower.  Add some sparkling wine and you have a slushy fruity spritzer.  I've used many different combinations of fruit based on taste/ texture/ preference, but this is by far my favorite.  You can use fresh, canned or even frozen fruit.  Just remember, if you buy canned fruit, to look for ones packed in juice or water instead of syrup.  I like to eat it straight from the fridge or just slightly thawed.  I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have over the years.  Here's how Mama makes it:

Frozen Fruit Slush


Ingredients:
- 1 can frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 3 c. water
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 can crushed pineapple
- 2 cans peaches, chopped
- 1 can mandarin oranges, whole or cut in half
- 1 c. sliced strawberries
- 1 can tart cherries (I used this instead of strawberries in the batch I made for Peanut to try since I haven't given her strawberries yet).


Directions:

1.  Pour orange and lemonade concentrates into a large bowl with a lid.  Add 3 cups (2 cans) of water and 1 c. sugar (can substitute Splenda or just leave it out, but it's a little tart without it.  I cut it down from the 2-3 c. found in most recipes).




2.  Stir until sugar dissolves, then add crushed pineapple and chopped peaches (do not drain).  Drain oranges and cherries (rinse cherries once to prevent the red from discoloring the slush) then add to mixture.



3.  Stir well to evenly distribute the fruit.  Place lid on the bowl, and freeze overnight until slushy.  The slush will harden the longer it sits in the fridge, so may need to thaw slightly before serving.






No comments:

Post a Comment