I loved being able to capture this moment in such an intimate session - just me, my girl, and my mom. And the cake, of course!
I took these late morning/early afternoon when Annalyn was very animated and playful. And apparently hungry!
But all in all, I'd have to say it was a success! Some of my pointers after doing this photo session:
1. Stick with lighter colored cake and icing - this was a suggestion I'd read from numerous bloggers and I have to say, I agree. Dark colors just won't look as good when they're smashed all over baby.
2. Don't forget a big #1 candle! This was probably Annalyn's favorite part of the cake and made for cute cake pics to use in collages.
4. Have an extra set of hands, especially when it comes to clean up! It was so nice having another person to help position her, grab a drink when she needed it, etc.
6. Have fun! Play with baby and encourage her to dig in to the cake... even if you have to put icing on her nose first.
7. Don't want the mess or sugar of a cake smash? Do a birthday photo session with cake making essentials (like a mixer and spatula) instead. I wanted some photos of Annalyn in her birthday shirt without getting it stained, so after her bath, I took some of her playing with my mixer. They ended up being some of my favorites! I couldn't have posed her better myself.