- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda (add to pureed bananas)
- 3 pureed bananas, very ripe
- Crisco & flour to grease the pan
for the icing:
(Recipe author suggested a cream cheese icing, but I used a simple buttercream)
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 t. vanilla
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 2-4 T. milk, to adjust consistency
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9x13" baking pan or two 9" round pans (I used two 6" round pans to make a smaller little smash cake).
3. To the creamed butter mixture, add the milk and flour (alternating, beginning and ending with flour).
4. Add vanilla and mashed bananas (with the baking soda added to the bananas) to this mixture.
5. Bake layer cakes (6-9" rounds) for 25-30 minutes, oblong (9x13") for 35-40 minutes, until toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
7. For the icing, cream the butter, then add vanilla. Gradually beat in powdered sugar (will be fairly stiff). Add milk a little at a time until desired consistency is acheived. (Another great secret to cake decorating is to add a little white corn syrup to the icing to make it spread more smoothly... love this one!).
8. Color icing as desired, decorate, and prepare for the smash!