Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Oatmeal Flaxseed Bars With Apricot Filling

While looking for a way to satisfy my need for sweet as well as my insane hunger pains, I decided to try my hand at oatmeal bars.  I had a can of Solo Apricot dessert filling just calling my name and I've been on a big oatmeal kick lately.  Not like mushy, hot cereal oatmeal, but more like crunchy granola, lots of texture oatmeal.  And flaxseeds.  I definitely love those little guys.  So, on a hungry, I-need-something-sweet afternoon, I made these oatmeal flaxseed bars with apricot filling.  They were perfect as an afternoon treat and a late morning snack the next day.  Here's how Mama makes it:


Oatmeal Flaxseed Bars with Apricot Filling

Ingredients:
- 1 c. flour
- 1 1/4 c. rolled oats
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 T. sesame seeds
- 1 T. flaxseeds
- 1 1/2 sticks butter (slightly softened, at least not super cold)
- 12 oz. can apricot filling or preserves


Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients.


2.  Cut the butter into chunks and stir into dry ingredients (I used a pastry blender because my butter wasn't super soft - I would recommend letting the butter sit out at room temperature for a bit first).



3.  Grease an 8" square pan.  Press half the oatmeal mixture into the bottom of the pan. 


4.  Top with apricot preserves, and spread evenly.  Top with remaining oatmeal mix, press together to make sure the mixture sticks together when baking.  Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.  (My oven was cooking a little cool, so I turned the temp up to 375 degrees and cooked them an extra 5 minutes to brown them up a little more - if you like it extra crispy, I would recommend it!)




5.  Allow bars to cool completely, then cut into squares and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment