Ingredients: (makes 24 cupcakes plus one 6" cake)
- 1 boxed cake mix (white)
- 1 c. flour
- 1 c. sugar
- 3/4 t. salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/3 c. water
- 2 T. vegetable oil
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1 t. almond extract
for the filling:
- 1 (30 oz.) can cherry pie filling
- 1/2 t. almond extract
for the icing:
- 3 sticks butter, softened
- 3/4 t. vanilla extract
- 3/4 t. almond extract
- 6 c. powdered sugar (1 1/2 lb.)
- 3 T. milk
- food coloring, as desired
- sliced almonds, sprinkles, and/or cherries to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients for cake. Add wet ingredients and blend on low-medium speed for 2 minutes.
2. For the filling, spoon out the cherries and coarsely chop. Place chopped cherries (and small amount of the filling) in a small bowl. Add almond extract and stir to combine.
3. Assemble the cupcakes: Prepare muffin tins by greasing or using cupcake liners. Grease the 6" pan, if using. Place a spoonful of batter in each cup, followed by about 1/2 T. cherry filling, then cover with enough cake batter to completely cover the filling.
4. Bake at 325 degrees for 20-23 minutes for cupcakes, 30-35 minutes for 6" pans. Test with toothpick since tops shouldn't brown too much.
5. For icing: Cream the butter, then add extracts and blend until combined. Slowly add powdered sugar until incorporated. Add milk to thin and blend until smooth. Add coloring as desired.