Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Za'atar Spiced Naan Pizza

Here's one of my favorite pantry creations that pops up in our menu planning every now and then.  In the past, I've always been in a hurry and not really thought to snap pictures or write down what I was doing.  So this time, I really planned it out, bought all the ingredients (I often improvise), and added my new favorite spice blend, za'atar.  Here's how Mama makes it:

Za'atar Spiced Naan Pizza



Ingredients:
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 3/4 t. curry powder
- 1/4 t. turmeric
- 1/4 t. cumin
- 1/4 t. garam masala 
- 2 T. water
- 4 garlic naan (I used Trader Joe's frozen naan)
- 1 c. hummus
- 1 c. feta cheese
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1 c. chopped tomato
- 1/2 c. chopped kalmata olives
- 4 t. za'atar
- fresh cilantro, for garnish

**for vegetarian option - substitute 1 can chickpeas for the ground beef.


Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Brown hamburger in a skillet over medium-high heat (I usually brown the whole pound and save half for another recipe.)  

2.  Add spices and 2 T. water to the beef and stir until evenly distributed.

3.  Place naan on a large baking sheet and cook according to package directions.

4.  Spread hummus over each piece of naan, then layer on beef, feta, onion, tomato, and olives.

5.  Sprinkle with za'atar and garnish with cilantro; serve.


printable recipe

This is why I have a skewed vision of what constitutes "typical kid food"... they loved it! (I did substitute shredded cheese for the feta because they aren't big fans of that yet.)





No comments:

Post a Comment