Saturday, June 22, 2013

Coffee Steak Rub

Here's an interesting and flavorful steak rub I came across last week on http://thelemonbowl.comThis recipe combines coffee, peppercorns, brown sugar, and spices for a wonderful flavor, texture, color, and crust.  The recipe author suggested using a sirloin cut, but I just used what we had (honestly can't remember the exact cut I used - it was a big, thin cut that Michael bought).  I don't see any reason you couldn't use it on any cut of steak, though.
 
Coffee Steak Rub
 
Ingredients
- 1½ lb sirloin steak
- 2 T. coffee beans – finely ground
- 2 T. black peppercorns – freshly cracked
- ½ T. salt
- 1 T. brown sugar
- 1 T. garlic powder
- 1(1/2) T. smoked paprika
-½ T. (1/2 t.) cayenne
(I used a little less paprika/cayenne than the original recipe)
 
 
Directions:
1.  Pre-heat grill on high.
2.  Combine coffee through cayenne in a small bowl to create spice rub.
 
3.  Coat the sirloin evenly with the spice mixture and let sit for 20 minutes or so at room temperature. (Cold meat on a hot grill will shrink.)
 
4.  Grill for 5-7 minutes per side, turning once, for medium-rare. Cook more or less based on preference.
 
5.  Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing to allow juices to re-distribute. (I served with my spinach pesto polenta - watch for this recipe soon!).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment