- 1 c. sugar
- 5 T. shortening (my Mom always used butter-flavored Crisco)
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 c. milk
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1 1/2 t. baking powder
for the topping:
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1 T. flour
- 2 T. cold butter
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cream the sugar and shortening. Add the salt.
2. Beat egg well and add with milk, flour, and baking powder.
3. Beat cake mixture with a mixer. (I decided to use my old hand mixer out of nostalgia - just like my mama!). Pour into greased 8x8" pan.
4. Combine all topping ingredients except the butter. Cut butter into chunks and using a pastry blender, fork, or two knives (my mom uses knives but I can never get the hang of it - I use my pastry blender), cut butter into the topping ingredients until small clumps form.
5. Sprinkle topping over the cake. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve hot or cold.
Peanut wasn't sure what to think when we gave her cake for breakfast...