As the mother of TWO beautiful baby girls, I'm discovering how to make "Ashley's kitchen" into "Mama's kitchen." You know, like the kind in old movies and nostalgic country songs. Mama's kitchen - where everyone gathers to enjoy good food, weekend brunches, family dinners, and make lasting memories. That is my destination, and this is my journey.
Here's an interesting pizza recipe, inspired once again by my friend, Brittany. It might look/sound strange, but it's absolutely fabulous! (Not to mention super easy if you use refrigerated pizza dough!) I think it would make a great appetizer, too. This post was photographed using my iPhone because my brother-in-law was using my camera for a special pre-wedding gift for his bride. Here's how Mama makes it:
Apple Bacon Gorgonzola Pizza
- crust for one 12-inch pizza (I used a refrigerated whole wheat one from Trader Joe's)
- 1-2 T. olive oil
- 1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
- 4-5 slices of bacon, crispy and chopped
- 1/4 c. gorgonzola or bleu cheese crumbles
- 2 T. balsamic reduction, to drizzle over the top
- freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. If using a pizza stone, place in the oven while preheating. Cut apple into thin slices. Cook bacon, allow to cool, then coarsely chop.
2. Roll dough onto a floured surface to an approximate 12-inch circle. Transfer to a pizza peel, or baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil.
3. Top with apples, bacon, and cheese. Bake 8-10 minutes until cheese bubbles and crust is lightly browned.
4. Remove from oven, drizzle with balsamic, and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Cut into slices and serve warm.