- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1-2 t. hot sauce, optional
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves or about 2 T. basil paste / dried basil
- 1 t. thyme
- 1/2 t. oregano
- 1/2 t. rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper (add more to taste)
- 2 t. salt (add more or less to taste)
- 1 c. milk, cream, half 'n half (really whatever you have onhand and depending on how creamy you like to make it and how many calories you want to add!)
- 1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
1. Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add diced onion and saute for 2-3 minutes until softened.
2. Add onions, and all remaining ingredients except the cream to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. (Alternately, you can pour into a stock pot and use a hand blender.)
3. Pour tomato mixture into a large saucepan or stock pot and heat to boiling, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 8-10 minutes to allow flavors to mingle.
4. Add milk/cream and parmesan, and allow to simmer another couple minutes until heated through. Serve warm alone topped with a little more parmesan or with a grilled cheese sandwich (aka cheese toasties for all my hoosier friends).