1. Rinse the peas. Place in the bottom of a slow cooker. Chop the veggies, add to the pot.
2. Add the ham, then pour in the liquid (I used 4 c. stock, 3 c. water).
3. Add seasoning (we like to add LOTS of pepper, but I started mild with this batch so we could let Annalyn try it).
4. Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours, or veggies are soft and peas break down. Remove ham bone, cut any remaining meat from the bone and add to soup.
5. FYI - to make on the stove, heat peas and water to boiling in 4-quart Dutch oven. Boil uncovered 2 minutes; remove from heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour. Stir in onion, celery and pepper. Add ham bone. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 1 hour 30 minutes or until peas are tender.