Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Peanut Post: Prune Banana Avocado Smoothie with Oatmeal & Flax

Another yummy smoothie/puree for Peanut!  We just can't get enough of these nutritious, easy smoothies.  I love that I can make up a big batch and have her snack or breakfast covered for the whole week.  This one sneaks in all kinds of goodies:  prunes for sweetness and to promote regular bowel movements, avocado for healthy fats and smooth texture, bananas for sweetness and potassium, yogurt for calcium and creaminess, ground flax for omega-3 fatty acids that promote brain and overall development, and lastly fortified baby oatmeal for added iron.  Maybe it's the pharmacist in me that makes me write recipes according to nutrients, but I like to think it's just the mother in me.  Here's how this nutrition-conscious mama makes it:

Prune Banana Avocado Smoothie with Oatmeal & Flax

Ingredients:
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 ripe avocado
- 5-6 dried plums (aka prunes)
- 6 oz. vanilla or plain yogurt
- 1-2 t. ground flax seed
- 1/4 c. baby oatmeal (iron fortified, for extra nutrition!)
- 1/2 c. whole milk or water, plus more as needed to thin consistency


Directions:

1.  Place fruit in blender, add yogurt, flax, and oatmeal. 




2.  Puree until smooth, adding small amounts of milk to thin to the approximate consistency of applesauce.



add a splash of milk -
sorry I don't really measure this part

in the end, it should look about like this

 
3.  Pick up the baby you scared by starting the blender without warning her first.  Let her taste the finished product so she's not afraid of it.  Pour the rest into pouches or small containers.  Store in the fridge or freeze until ready to use.  (I usually toss a couple in the fridge and freeze the rest - it's so easy to take out the night before and thaw in the fridge.)

"up, up, up!" <pleading>

2 comments:

  1. Now that I have my own kitchen again, I'm loving whipping up some of these purees for Eli. My favorite is a plum-banana one. He's doing a great job on regular food already, but I like to make some of these to get some other foods into him. Can't find the flax seed in the groceries around here-any hints?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually find it in the natural foods section near the gluten free flours and things like that. Or they usually have whole flaxseeds in the bulk food bins that you can grind.

    ReplyDelete