Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Mama's Turkey Gravy

What turkey dinner would be complete without a good gravy?  None that this mama makes!  Here's my recipe:
Mama's Turkey Gravy

Ingredients:
- 4 c. gravy starter (this recipe)
- pan drippings from turkey (at least 2-3 cups)
- 2 T. herb butter (this recipe)
- 1/4 c. flour
- 2-3 T. cornstarch (because I can never get gravy to thicken without it)
- 1/4 c. water
- salt & pepper, to taste


Directions:

1.  In a large bowl, whisk together gravy starter and pan drippings.



2.  Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat.  Sprinkle in the flour; whisk constantly until the roux is golden brown.


3.  Pour the gravy into the pot, whisking often.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until gravy thickens.


4.  At this point, I always whisk in some cornstarch to thicken the gravy further.  In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 c. water and 2-3 T. cornstartch.  Add to the gravy and whisk constantly until gravy thickens.  Remove from heat; gravy will thicken a little more.  Keep warm until ready to serve.


Sorry, I realize now that I forgot to take pictures of the last couple steps and the finished gravy.  I guess I got preoccupied with carving this gorgeous bird!  Here's a preview that might help you understand :)




No comments:

Post a Comment