As the mother of TWO beautiful baby girls, I'm discovering how to make "Ashley's kitchen" into "Mama's kitchen." You know, like the kind in old movies and nostalgic country songs. Mama's kitchen - where everyone gathers to enjoy good food, weekend brunches, family dinners, and make lasting memories. That is my destination, and this is my journey.
Peanut Post: A New Favorite Green Puree - Sweet Potato with Spinach & Green Peas
Annalyn has a new favorite green goo and once again, the combination may surprise you. Sweet potatoes with spinach and green peas. I must say, it does taste really good. The sweetness of the potatoes pairs perfectly with the green flavor of the spinach (yes, green is a flavor in Mama's house. I love it, and so does my Peanut. Daddy's still on the fence about "eating leaves", but he does it anyway.) The end result is a nutrient-packed and very pretty green goo.
What's that? You don't like green leaves and yam? Well...
“Try them, try them, and you may! Try them and you may, I say.”
~Dr. Seuss, Green Eggs and Ham
Can't argue with the classics...
Sweet Potatoes with Spinach & Green Peas
- 1 T. unsalted butter
- 1 large or 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 c. green peas, frozen
- 3/4 c. baby spinach, washed and tough stems removed
- 1 c. water
1. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add sweet potatoes and saute about a minute.
2. Add 1 cup water, bring to a boil, and simmer for 7-8 minutes.
3. Add the peas and spinach and cook, covered for 3-5 minutes.
4. Puree until smooth, adding cooking liquid as needed to achieve desired consistency.
She ate an entire bowl full of it that afternoon after not eating well all day. I know what you're thinking - what a horrible Mama spoiling that baby's dinner with spinach and peas! And it wasn't a fluke because the next day I received this text message at work:
"What's in that new green one again? It's like baby crack." - Dada (apparently she really likes it!)