Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Peanut Post: Cherub's Chowder (recipe from Annabel Karmel)


Since I made over Michael's bourbon corn chowder, I decided to make Annalyn her own little corn chowder for watching football.  I found this recipe in a book my neighbor gave me and thought it would be a perfect little complement to the chowder we were eating.  The author suggested leaving some of the corn kernels whole for older babies, but I decided to blend it all together this time.  I didn't add additional spices to the recipe, but I figure I can sprinkle in a tiny bit of chili powder, cumin, or dill to her individual servings.  Annalyn really liked it and because it was so simple, so did Mama!
 
our little football cutie


 Cherub's Chowder
(corn chowder with chicken, recipe from Annabel Karmel)

 
Ingredients:
 
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 1 T. vegetable oil
- 2 medium or 4 small red potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3/4 c. chicken stock or water
- 1/3 c. canned or frozen corn
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1/2 c. diced cooked chicken
 


Directions:
 
1.  Saute the chopped onion in vegetable oil over medium-high heat until soft.

 
2.  Add potatoes to the pan, then pour in the water or chicken stock.


 
3.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 12 minutes.

 
4.  Add the corn, milk, and chicken and simmer for 2-3 minutes more. 



5.  Puree the soup in a blender, food mill, or food processor (I was making several batches of baby food that day, so I pureed it in several batches in the Bullet, my only available blending device!).  For older babies, puree soup before adding corn and leave corn whole.  Add a little extra milk and stock to make it into a soup.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment