Saturday, October 20, 2012

Dutch Oven Dijon Chicken Stew

For my birthday this year, Michael got me this beautiful blue dutch oven.  I've been so excited to try it out, and I finally came up with a good (and healthy!) recipe worthy of breaking it in. This WW friendly stew is only 6 points per 1 cup serving (makes about 6 servings).  Adding 1 cup of uncooked rice makes it 9 points per serving.

Dutch Oven Dijon Chicken Stew
Ingredients:
- 1/4 c. water
- 3 T. Dijon mustard
- 1 T. cornstarch
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 c. sliced onion
- 3 T. minced garlic
- 1 t. dried rosemary
- 1 c. dry white wine
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (10 oz.) cans diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, shredded or chopped
- 2 c. kale, chopped
- 2 c. chicken stock
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/4 t. black pepper
- 1 c. uncooked rice, optional

break out the puffs...

baby appetizer & instant entertainment!




Directions:
1.  Whisk water, mustard, and cornstarch in a small bowl; set aside.

2.  Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat.  Add onions, garlic, and rosemary; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. 

slice lengthwise

then cut in half



3.  Add wine, cover and bring to a boil over high heat.  Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the wine is almost evaporated, 5-6 minutes.


4.  Add chicken, kale, and broth.  Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.  Add beans and tomatoes, stir to combine.





5.  Whisk the cornstarch mixture and add to the pot.  Bring stew to a boil and cook for 1 minute.  Season with salt and pepper. 
6.  Optional:  Serve over cooked rice or add 1 cup uncooked rice to the stew, and simmer until rice is softened, about 8-10 minutes.



rice makes a great finger food for baby, too!


4 comments:

  1. Going to try this one soon... may have questions about the kale. I've always been a little hesitant to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be scared of kale... it's very mild in flavor - similar to spinach in soups/stews, but keeps a little more crunch. I have one of our favorite soup recipes to post on here that uses it also. It seems overwhelming when you first put it in - I used to always start with half of what the recipe called for because it seemed like too much. But it always wilts down and I end up adding more b/c we like it so much. Let me know what you think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We made this tonight! It was really good, and perfect after a rainy cloudy day here. Brian was surprised at how zippy it was, likely from the chilies in the tomatoes. I bought an easy bag of kale that was pre-chopped, and Brian thought I still could have added more. We actually used red wine, just because we didn't have white. And we did serve it over rice. I wouldn't change a thing. I'm very excited to try your new kale soup, as I love-love the Olive Garden version and have been craving it for quite a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Glad you guys liked it. Michael really liked this one, too. I've never seen the pre-chopped kale, but I'm definitely going to look. I am all for time-savers. Thanks for letting me know how it turned out :)

    ReplyDelete