In honor of fall and pumpkin carving, here's a baby food recipe for pumpkin, squash, and leek puree. Peanut swears it tastes better than raw pumpkin.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make squash puree using this recipe. Cut squash in half and place face down in glass baking dish with about an inch of water. Bake about 45 minutes until soft. Scoop out flesh and mash or puree, adding some of the cooking liquid to adjust consistency.
2. If using fresh pumpkin, cook similar to the squash. I used canned pumpkin because, well, my fresh pumpkin had a baby in it. (if making your own pumpkin, be sure to buy the small pie pumpkins, not the large carving ones).
3. Cook leeks using this recipe for leek puree. Wash leeks, cut off green parts, keeping only the whites. Chop the leeks and sautee in a little butter until soft. Puree until smooth.
4. If making ahead, freeze each puree using ice cube trays. (each cube is about 1 oz. each)
5. When ready to eat, combine 2 oz of squash, 1 oz. pumpkin, and 1 oz. leek and mix with fork. (Adjust this recipe up or down based on how much your little one is eating.)