Thursday, March 14, 2013

Peanut Post: Another Yummy Smoothie Recipe! (Spinach-Sweet Potato-Green Pea-Pear)

Another of Annalyn's favorite smoothies (purees), this one is sure to be a hit with parents and kiddos alike!  The sweet potato and pear add fiber and sweetness, while the pea and spinach add texture and nutrients.  As you've probably noticed, I'm a big fan of adding green leafy veggies to Annalyn's purees... and why not?!  She loves it and so do I.  The other day I gave her a store bought food pouch that was a mix of spinach, pear, and green pea... sounds great, right?  Well, I have to say, she loved the flavor, but I was a bit disturbed when I saw that it was about the same color as applesauce.  How on earth can that puree contain a significant amount of spinach and peas?  Every time I add anything green, my purees instantly turn this beautiful vibrant green color.  If you ask me, that's pretty misleading.  All the more inspiration to make my own, I suppose!  Anyway, here's how Mama makes it:
Spinach-Sweet Potato-Green Pea-Pear Smoothie

Ingredients:
- 1 c. diced sweet potato (I like to buy a few, dice, and freeze)
- 1 c. frozen green peas
- 1/4 to 1/2 c. water
- 1/2 c. packed spinach, frozen or fresh
- 1 pear, peeled and chopped


Directions:

1. In a medium saucepan, combine sweet potato, green peas, spinach, and water.   Meanwhile, peel and dice the pear and add to the pot. 






2.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 8-10 minutes, until softened.



I gave her a few pieces of diced pear...

and she shoved them all in her mouth

but she thought it was AWESOME!


3. Remove from heat and puree using a blender or food processor, adding as much of the cooking liquid as possible to ensure all nutrients remain in the puree. Add additional water or applesauce as needed to adjust consistency. (for an optimal pouch puree, you want the final puree to be about the consistency of thick applesauce)




More delicious fruits and veggies for my growing girl!




No comments:

Post a Comment