- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 1/2 c. chunky salsa
- 1 T. minced garlic
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 c. water
- 1 1/2 T. taco seasoning (see this post for recipe)
- 2 c. brown rice (can substitute white rice, just decrease the cook time)
- 1 c. shredded cheese
1. In a large soup pot (I started with a skillet, but later realized it wasn't big enough), brown the hamburger over medium high heat. Drain and return to pot.
2. Add the minced garlic and salsa, reduce heat, and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes (no need to drain), black beans, water and taco seasoning.
4. Bring to a boil, then add rice, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for 40 minutes until rice absorbs the liquid. (if using white rice, only need to simmer for about 15 minutes.)
5. Spread shredded cheese over the top of the dish, then return lid to the pot to allow cheese to melt. Serve immediately. Also makes good leftovers! ;)