The solution?: This recipe was born! An easy slow cooker chicken that combines some of our favorite flavors with the ease of a slow cooker. I envision six hungry friends gathered around a table, passing taco toppings, champagne punch (for 4 of us), milk (for the 2 newest members), and good cheer.
Gosh, all this problem solving makes a girl hungry! Here's how Mama makes it:
- 3 lbs. bonless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 jar salsa verde
- 1 c. chicken stock
- 1 medium poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1.5 - 2 T. taco seasoning (recipe below!)*
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 T. chili powder
- 1 T. cumin
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1 t. onion powder
- 1 t. paprika
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1 t. salt (more or less to taste)
- 1 t. cayenne pepper (again, adjust to taste/tolerance)
- 1/2 t. oregano
- 1/4 t. crushed red pepper flakes
1. Mix taco seasoning ingredients in a small bowl, bag, or spice jar. Make a big batch to have on hand or just enough, your choice! Adjust the heat and saltiness to your liking (the beauty of making your own instead of the little packets).
2. Combine chicken, onion, and pepper in a slow cooker.
3. Add the salsa, taco seasoning, and chicken stock and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.
4. Add the lime juice and cilantro, shred chicken with tongs or forks.