Hello, cold winter night! I've been waiting for you with this beef stew recipe. Based on a WW recipe, this stew is both hearty and healthy. Don't like mushrooms? Try tossing in some sliced potatoes or sweet potatoes instead! It makes 6 servings at about 8 pts each. Here's how Mama makes it:
- 1 T. olive oil
- 2 lbs. stew beef, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 T. minced garlic
- 1 c. red table wine
- 1 T. Worcestershire sauce (not pictured, late addition)
- 1 (12 oz) can tomato paste
- 2 c. water
- 1 beef bouillon cube, crumbled
- 1 lb. button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small can chopped green chilies
- 1 t. fennel seeds
- 1 t. rosemary
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 1/2 t. dill weed
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick pan or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery, carrots, and garlic and saute until onions are lightly browned.
2. Add meat and cook, stirring, until well-browned.
3. Stir in remaining ingredients. Simmer, covered, for 45 minutes.