- 2 (12 oz.) bags frozen broccoli
- 1 (12 oz.) bag frozen chopped onion
- 1 (32 oz.) carton chicken stock
- 2 c. low-fat milk
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 1/2 t. nutmeg
- 16 oz. Velveeta cheese (lite, if you can find it)
- 1 c. fresh or frozen spinach, optional
- 1 c. shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
**quick disclaimer: by all means, use fresh veggies if you have them on hand or have the time to buy/wash/chop them... this mama's been working on figuring out how to pay taxes as an employer since our nanny is considered a household employee - very time consuming, super confusing, and all around not fun! But I think I'm finally done - at least until our W-2's come and I have to do our personal taxes... *sigh* In the meantime, there's no shame in shortcut cooking, my friends!
1. Place broccoli and onion in the bottom of a slow cooker.
2. Pour in stock and milk.
3. Add spices and give it a good stir. Cut velveeta into chunks and add the soup. Mix a little, but don't worry, it will melt and incorporate as it cooks.
4. Place lid on slow cooker and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-8 hours. After about 4 hours on high, blend about 1/3-1/2 of the soup using an immersion blender, regular blender, or food processor (I used the Magic Bullet because I already had it out). This will help thicken the soup and add extra creaminess!