Friday, January 4, 2013

Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala

In honor of Annalyn's favorite Indian take-out dish, here's an excellent slow cooker version of chicken tikka masala.  This creamy tomato-based sauce is flavorful and full of warm, earthy spices, but not hot spicy.  We served it over brown rice, but it could definitely stand alone.  (Without rice, it's about 8 WW points per 1 cup serving.)

Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala



Ingredients:

- 2 lbs. uncooked boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 large (or 2 small) onions, chopped
- 1-2 T. minced garlic
- 1 T. brown sugar
- 1 T. fresh ginger, minced or grated
- 1 T. kosher salt
- 2 to 3 T. garam masala (this is actually a spice blend, but I couldn't find it at my grocery.  When I looked it up, I learned that it's an Indian spice blend and the ingredients vary based on the region, etc.  I looked at a few recipes, as apparently it's best when used whole spices that are roasted, etc., but it was 10pm and I had to work the next day, so this* is the one I decided on...)
- 3/4 c. non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro


*Easy Garam Masala: (makes about 1/4 c.)
- 1 T. cumin
- 1 T. cardamom
- 1 1/2 t. ground pepper
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 t. cloves
- 1/2 t. nutmeg

Directions:  Mix spices with mortar and pestal or
shake ingredients in a baggie until mixed.








Directions:

1.  Combine all ingredients except yogurt and cilantro in a slow cooker.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.

start with chicken, top with onion and garlic

add the spices and sugar

then the tomatoes

give it a quick stir, and away you go!


2.  Stir in yogurt and cilantro just before serving.  We ate it over brown rice and of course, shared with Peanut!
this smelled so good by the time I got home
that I could smell it when I pulled into the garage!

a quick stir & the chicken just fell apart

chop up a bunch of cilantro

 add cilantro and yogurt when ready to serve

another quick stir

how pretty is that?

and so yummy!

"I can't eat it fast enough!"



No comments:

Post a Comment