Sunday, January 13, 2013

Fighting the Urge to Eat Out: Slow Cooker Sweet & Sour Chicken

This recipe came from another one of my random Thai food cravings.  Eager to "make my own take out," I started scouring my pantry and fridge for ingredients and inspiration.  We were actually very pleased with the result!  It tastes very similar to my favorite Thai dish, with the added ease of a slow cooker (my latest obsession if you haven't noticed!).  I gave Annalyn some of the chicken, veggies, and rice, but because the sauce had a little kick to it, I rinsed it first (to make a super mild version, use plain diced tomatoes without the chilis).  Here's how Mama made it happen:

Slow Cooker Sweet & Sour Chicken


Ingredients:

- 1.5 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1/2 c. red onion
- 1/2 c. white onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 can pineapple chunks
- 1 c. sliced mushrooms
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 (14 oz.) can tomatoes with green chilis
- 1 T. grated fresh ginger
- 2 T. sugar
- 1/2 c. ketchup
- juice of 1 lime
- 3 T. cornstarch
- 3 T. cider vinegar
- 2 T. soy sauce
- 2 T. sweet chili sauce

Directions:

1.  Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and trim the fat.  Add in an even layer to the bottom of a slow cooker.



2.  Chop carrots, celery, onions, and pepper and add to the slow cooker

these two aren't crucial to the flavor,
but why not add some veggies when you can?

cut onions into large chunks


cut peppers into larger chunks, too


3.  Rinse mushrooms well and add to slow cooker.  Top with the pineapple chunks and some of the juice.  Grate the ginger (I recommend freezing the ginger to make it easier to peel and grate.  I always use my microplane zester.) and add to the mixture.





4.  Add the tomatoes.  In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix the remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth.  Pour evenly over the slow cooker mixture.



sweet chili sauce was a late addition




5.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 5-6 hours.  Serve alone or over rice.


give it one quick stir and it's ready to go!

a delicious dish packed with flavor and veggies!




No comments:

Post a Comment