for the pinwheels:
- 3 c. Bisquick mix
- 1 c. milk
- 1/2 t. hot sauce
- 1 lb. italian sausage
- 1 c. shredded pepperjack cheese
- 1/4 c. cornflake crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
for the gravy:
- 4 t. butter
- 1/4 c. flour
- 2 c. whole milk
- 1/4 t. cayenne pepper (optional)
- salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place 3 c. Bisquick into a medium bowl. In a measuring cup, combine milk and hot sauce, then pour into Bisquick and stir until just combined (it will be lumpy). I actually used 1 c. Bisquick and 2 c. of this multigrain baking mix from Trader Joes. Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference.
2. Roll dough into a 15 x 10" rectangle. (lightly flour the surface you are rolling it out on)
3. Combine remaining pinwheel ingredients and stir to combine (then, let's be honest, use your hands to really get it mixed well!).
4. Spread meat mixture evenly over the biscuit dough, then roll as if you were making cinnamon rolls (The Pioneer Woman refers to this as "type writer style", going back and forth as you roll). Pinch seems to seal, then turn so seem is facing down.
5. Cut into about 12 slices and arrange evenly spaced on a shallow baking sheet. Sprinkle with a few shreds of cheese. Bake 30 minutes at 375 degrees until slightly browned and cooked through.