Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Asian Marinated Grilled Chicken

I just LOVE grilling season!  Maybe it's the fact that I don't actually do the grilling so I have more time to focus on other parts of the meal.  Or maybe it's the beautiful char lines, I do love those...  Or it could be the hunky guy behind the grill at my house, he is a definite plus...  And then again, we can't ignore the fact that it's a pretty healthy way to cook...  Yep, I just don't see a downside here!  (Except that it's pseudo-dependent on weather, of course).   At any rate, here's a delicious grilled chicken recipe to kick off the start of grilling season here in Indiana.  I made the marinade to compliment this carrot ginger dressing, but it could absolutely stand alone as the maincourse.  Here's how Mama (with a little help from Daddy) makes it:

Asian Marinated Grilled Chicken

Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 T. soy sauce
- 1/4 c. white wine
- 2 T. seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 t. ginger (fresh or ground)
- 1/4 c. toasted sesame oil
- 1 T. honey
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 1 T. minced garlic
- 2 t. basil, chopped
- 1 t. hot sauce (add more if you like it spicy!)

Directions:

1.   Locate 2 gallon freezer bags.  In the first one, place one chicken breast at a time, squeeze air out, seal, and pound the heck out of it.  Thanks to my friend, Dan, I learned this super easy, clean-up friendly trick.  Trust me, it's even better than pounding between two sheets of wax paper.  By pounding the chicken flat, the marinade reaches more of the surface, adding more flavor, and it's cooks faster and more evenly on the grill.  Added bonus:  a healthy way to release frustration.



2.  In the second bag, mix all remaining ingredients, shake to combine, then add the flattened chicken.  Remove as much air as possible from the bag, seal, and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.  Be sure to turn the bag over at least once so the chicken gets evenly coated with marinade.




3.  When ready to grill, hand the bag over to the master griller in your family, pour a glass of wine, and wait for it to be done! (Ok, ok, so that may not be an acceptable end to a recipe... but sounds kinda nice, right?).  What I meant to say was preheat grill to about 400-425 degrees and cook for 10-15 minutes, turning twice to ensure even cooking with minimal sticking.    We served the chicken over a bed of spring mix greens, tomatoes, and cucumber with a carrot ginger dressing.  I must say, it was divine.


pour marinade over the chicken


is there anything better than those char lines?
forgot how much I missed them over the winter...

how pretty are these colors?
it just screams spring to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment