Wednesday, April 10, 2013
Toddler Meals: Avocado Chicken Cheese Spread
Here's one of Annalyn's latest favorites. It's great for so many reasons! First of all, it's super easy to whip up for lunch or a quick snack. Peanut likes it best when spread on toast and cut into bite-sized pieces. When she was younger, I fed it to her from a spoon like a puree. It's also good with crackers/chips for older kids. And on top of all that, it's well-rounded and healthy! Gosh, what more can a mama ask for? Oh yea, and it lasts for more than one meal - usually like 4 or 5! Here's how Mama makes it:
3. Serving suggestion: Spread on toast and cut into bite-sized pieces (or triangles for older kiddos... not squares, I always liked triangles best - they just taste better. Unless of course you're a square toast kind of person...)
Avocado Chicken Cheese Spread
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 c. small curd cottage cheese
- 1/4 c. cooked chicken, finely chopped
- 1/4 t. garlic powder (because toddlers have taste buds, too!)
**serving suggestion: toast, crackers, chips, tortillas
1. Cut avocado in half, remove pit, and scoop flesh into a medium bowl. Mash with a fork to desired smoothness (I like to leave it a little chunkier now that she's older).
2. Add cottage cheese, garlic powder, and finely chopped chicken. Stir to combine. Can puree for younger babies if needed. Store in refrigerator or freeze in toddler-sized portions for a quick and easy lunch (I recommend letting this one thaw in the fridge after being frozen instead of reheating in the microwave since it's best served cold).
caution: may induce silliness!